Top News

Bridging Gaps | Journeys Shared | Dipika Ramchandani





 Introduction


As we know, government primary schools are often located in rural areas. When I was appointed as a language teacher in my school, I found that my students were not able to recognize even the letters in English. I decided to start my journey by developing their language skills.


In the beginning, I faced many difficulties in improving their English language skills. So, what are the basic English language skills? Listening, speaking, reading, and writing. When learning anything, especially a language, it is important to practice the skills learned to strengthen them and not lose them.


Aims and Objectives of Learning English Language Skills


Understand the total content and underlying meaning in context.

Understand the meaning of words, phrases, and sentences in context.

Maintain listening attention for a reasonable length of time.

Pronounce English correctly and intelligibly.

Write neatly and legibly with reasonable speed.

Write descriptions of people, places, and things, and respond imaginatively to textual questions.


Implementing the Plan


Regarding these aims, I started with the alphabet. I received an English kit from the ANTYODAYA FOUNDATION, which contained basic materials like alphabet puzzles, flashcards, parts of body puzzles, blocks, etc. It was helpful and informative. Then I realized the importance of establishing teaching aids to facilitate learning.


Firstly, I gathered information on how to make and use these aids. Gradually, I collected a number of teaching aids and began using them in the classroom.


Day by day, students got used to them and started finding the meanings of words from the dictionary. They used the materials to enhance and develop their English learning skills. Conversation and communication in the assembly were my keys to teaching spoken English.


I also celebrated English Week, during which all activities like sentence forming, conversation, use of the dictionary, rhymes, poems, grammar points, tables, pledge, picture narration, puppet shows, and storytelling were performed by students in the assembly. These activities continue to be performed every Wednesday to this day.


Benefits of Learning English Language Skills


Being able to read and understand English allows access to a wider range of information and knowledge.

It can improve communication skills.

It can help understand other cultures.

It provides access to a wider range of educational opportunities, both in your home country and abroad.

It can give you a competitive edge in school or college applications.

As a result, I can now proudly say that my students can read and write in English on their own. I hope this journey will never end.


Do’s and Don’ts for English Learning Skills


Do’s


Develop your vocabulary.

Improve your grammar.

Think in English.

Talk to yourself.

Build your own vocabulary.

Watch movies in English or use English subtitles.


Don’ts


Be afraid to make mistakes.

Translate everything.

Be rigid.

Focus excessively on accent.



Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post